Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Respite at the refuge












Our weekends this summer have been hectic to say the least, not that I'm complaining (I do have my moments...imagine that!) 
We've had friends visiting from the States, a wedding in Lancashire, family visiting from Liverpool. This weekend was free! But rather than sitting at home relaxing, eating, sleeping watching DVD's we took ourselves off to the Dolomites. With a refuge booked for Saturday night I was pretty excited...one more thing to cross off my list of things to do.

After a nightmare drive up the Brennero (Fiera Agosto week) we arrived in Passo Pordoi parked up, backpacks at the ready and off we went...the first incline hurt! then things got a little steadier.
We arrived at rifugio Viel del Pan just in time for tea, it was wonderful took a much needed nap. Dinner in the mountains is early, Goulash and dumplings YUM...real mountain folk now.
The following day after a several cups of tea off we went...