Monday, September 6, 2010

Fabric Works.








Louise Bourgeois is my favorite artist and at the time this exhibition opened living artist, sadly the art world and normal folk like me lost the vision and creativity of LB in May 2010. With only 2 weekends left of the show at the Fondazione Emilio e Annabianca Vedova Venezia it was time I took myself to Venezia. Always weary of visiting Venice on the weekend and it's still summer here, I braved the mass of American tourists and snuck in around the back. 
A small galley style space with exposed brick walls and beams, although small the curator (Germano Celant) had...well it's easier for me to say I honesty can't remember the last time an exhibition has moved me with so much excitement and anticipation for what I would lay my eyes on next. It was pure delight, eyes wide open not wanting to miss a stitch, embellishment, colour, fabric or texture.
My stomach aching from holding my breath and forgetting to breath yet feeling totally calm and inspired.
Spirals, marble beads, weaved spiders and orbs. Envelopes intricately stitched together from netting to create envelopes of intimacy.
The exhibition is moving to London next maybe I'll treat myself to another afternoon of LB and her beautiful mind.