Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Polipo!

It all started last week at the fish counter, when I saw a woman buying an octopus not the cute little ones for fried fish a proper big one...I was intrigued and intimidated...I stuck with my salmon fillet, 2 days later I returned...still I glanced at the octopus...I went for the king prawns...so last night feeling a little inspired I asked the guys behind the counter who always give the best advice on how to cook and prepare...OK seems easy...OK I'll take one 'you can only try' was the boast of confidence I needed from the fishmonger...
Once home my confidence wained a little especially once the suckers and tentacles were let loose in the water...too late now...husband had a shock when he looked in the pot 'is it alive?...hope not poor thing has been boiled for the last 45 min.
After an hour and some self confidence boosting for getting it out of the pot...we were done!
:: Polipo ::
Place the Octopus in a large pot with cold water and white wine vinegar, bring to the boil, once boiling cook for 1 hour.
Remove from the pot, and rinse under cold water, removing any skin.
Cut up into pieces
(I didn't have the confidence to use the head as I'm not too sure what to do with it, I just used the tentacles )
I prepared some boiled potatoes, cut up into smaller pieces and handful of parsley chopped.
Add it all together with the octopus adding olive oil & lemon juice.