Friday, July 20, 2012

Spicy

Whilst I was home I was so impressed with Dads commitment to support Mum on her weight loss (we did have a couple sneaky cakes) especially as he now does the majority of the cooking, which initially was just to be fed but now I think he's found a new passion...although I don't think he'd admit it, but the way he talks about food and how he prepares it has completely changed, we now exchange recipes...this dish he did whilst I was home and I literally couldn't stop eating it.
Last night I prepared it for us...

::Spicy beans with Carrot & Coconut::
Serves 6-8
500g french beans topped
2 tbls vegetable oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
2 small onions, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
110g carrots, coursely grated
175ml vegetable stock
25g desiccated coconut
25g chopped roasted hazelnuts
2 tbls chopped coriander

Steam the beans for about 4 mins until tender, set then aside.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add mustard seed, cover & cook until the seeds begin to pop.
Add Chilli, onions,garlic, ginger, turmeric and cardomom.
Cook stirring for 4 minutes, until the onions start to soften.
Add carrots, stock & coconut cook for 5 mins.
Finally add the beans, hazelnuts & coriander and cook for 1-2 minutes to infuse the flavors and warm the beans.
SServe with Rice or grilled meat or fish.

(this recipe is from Antony Worral Thompsons The G.I Diet Cookbook)