Thursday, May 3, 2012

Monday

 I was home alone today, Michael had to head into the office, I spent the day faffing, no better way to put it, popped over for afternoon tea with my friend, and found ourselves in the fabric shop...dangerous, picked up some great fabric for summer, but at the moment its 'project babies'...all my friends are expecting and due in late spring...I need to get sewing...
I don't know what's up with me at the moment, I just want to stay home a cook, I think it must be all the amazing fresh produce in the stores.
I was super excited to see fresh beetroot in my local store, it takes me back home and the smell of beetroot simmering away in my Mums kitchen, freshly picked from the garden, it's the first time I've seen it in Italy like this, so it had to come home with me...quick phone call to my Mum for the VERY simple instructions...it's ready and waiting in the fridge now.


Lurking in back of my fridge have been these knobbly Jerusalum Archichokes, I don't think I've ever even tasted them...let alone cooked with them, but once again thanks to the inspiration of Nigel Slaters Tender: Vol 1, I decided to take the plunge...I have to admit though the recipe came from Hugh and The River Cottage...


:: Jerusalum artichoke & spinach gratin ::


One tablespoon of sunflower oil

A knob of butter

Two onions, finely sliced

Three garlic cloves, sliced
500g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into 3mm rounds

One teaspoon of chopped thyme

200ml double cream
100ml of vegetable stock or water
100g of spinach, roughly chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

:For the topping:


A handful of porridge oats

Three thick slices of stale bread, torn into little pieces

25g of melted butter

30g of Cheddar cheese or hard goat’s cheese, grated

Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan, add the onions and the garlic and cook gently until soft and starting to take on a little colour. Add the artichokes and thyme, then season well with salt and pepper. 

 Cook, tossing occasionally, for about five minutes. 

Pour over the cream and water or stock and simmer gently until the liquid has reduced by half. Stir in the nettles or spinach, then transfer everything to a greased gratin dish, levelling it out as you go.

 Mix all the topping ingredients together. Sprinkle over the artichoke mixture and bake in an oven pre-heated to 190C or Gas Mark 5 for about 25-30 minutes, until 
golden brown and bubbling.


 


I served it with a tomato, capers & red onion salad, with a dressing of lemon, olive oil, & mint.